How can I give Google a fake mobile phone number - so that I can continue to use my Gmail account?
ship
2011-01-03 15:45:33 UTC
Hi

Google are refusing to let me continue to use my gmail account unless
I give them my phone number.
I regard this as absolutely disgusting and I refuse point-blank to do
this (for reasons of privacy and security - i.e. I simply do not trust
google with this information.)

But can any of you think of a way for me to give them a mobile phone
number for them to send a text message to (with my unlocking code)
that can not be traced to me. (Which would thus not a security risk to
me).

John
John Smith

P.S. Failing that, is there any way to actually close my gmail account
so that no more emails can be sent to is. (Because right now my email
account has a number of emails that I would like to delete and also it
is still collecting various emails and I do not want this to happen).
Michael
2011-01-03 19:47:26 UTC
Post by ship
Google are refusing to let me continue to use my gmail account unless
I give them my phone number.
I just logged into several Gmail accounts, some of which haven't been
used in quite some time. None of them asked for a phone number. I do
recall that you could add a mobile phone number as an added security
option, so they could send a password reset code to your phone if you
ever forgot your password. You sure that's not what it's asking for?
If so, the number is 100% optional.
Brian Cryer
2011-01-04 09:38:25 UTC
Post by Michael
Post by ship
Google are refusing to let me continue to use my gmail account unless
I give them my phone number.
I just logged into several Gmail accounts, some of which haven't been
used in quite some time. None of them asked for a phone number. I do
recall that you could add a mobile phone number as an added security
option, so they could send a password reset code to your phone if you
ever forgot your password. You sure that's not what it's asking for?
If so, the number is 100% optional.
Also, is the request definitly from google or have you (the OP) been tricked
into entering your details on a fake site?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
g***@gmail.com