Server hosting - Who?
Ed Jay
2016-09-22 05:21:30 UTC
I need to change server hosts.

'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.

Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)
Allodoxaphobia
2016-09-22 12:35:41 UTC
Post by Ed Jay
I need to change server hosts.
'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.
Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
https://www.knthost.com/

I've been with them for over a decade, and I'm supporting over a
half dozen domains there.
Highly recommended.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD
Ed Jay
2016-09-22 12:50:41 UTC
On 22 Sep 2016 12:35:41 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
Post by Allodoxaphobia
Post by Ed Jay
I need to change server hosts.
'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.
Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
https://www.knthost.com/
I've been with them for over a decade, and I'm supporting over a
half dozen domains there.
Highly recommended.
Thanks. I'll take a look.
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)
Doc O'Leary
2016-09-22 16:04:40 UTC
For your reference, records indicate that
Post by Ed Jay
I need to change server hosts.
'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.
Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
Depends entirely on what you’re looking for in a provider. Cloud?
Shared? VPS? Dedicated?

A lot depends on your budget and technical abilities/needs, too.
There’s some super cheap stuff out there if you have a static site
that only needs to be served over IPv6! ;-)
--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly
Ed Jay
2016-09-22 21:32:27 UTC
Post by Ed Jay
I need to change server hosts.
'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.
Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
Depends entirely on what you’re looking for in a provider. Cloud?
Shared? VPS? Dedicated?
A lot depends on your budget and technical abilities/needs, too.
There’s some super cheap stuff out there if you have a static site
that only needs to be served over IPv6! ;-)
Thanks, Doc. I'm looking for a reseller type (shared) host for several
personal sites and one or two business sites. I expect to pay between
$20 - $30.
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)
Doc O'Leary
2016-09-23 16:37:21 UTC
Post by Ed Jay
Thanks, Doc. I'm looking for a reseller type (shared) host for several
personal sites and one or two business sites. I expect to pay between
$20 - $30.
Is that a monthly budget or a yearly one? Simple managed shared
hosting for unlimited domains (*not* actual white-label reselling) can
easily be found around the $10/month range. I used to use DreamHost
for that and they were pretty good.

But I’ve moved on to VPSes for most things because I have the
technical need and know-how to do things that a cookie-cutter provider
won’t offer. I was able to replace just about everything I was doing
on DreamHost with the $15/year plan from RamNode. I blogged about the
transition:

http://www.impossiblystupid.com/organization/tags/vps/
--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly
Ed Jay
2016-09-23 18:14:48 UTC
Post by Ed Jay
Thanks, Doc. I'm looking for a reseller type (shared) host for several
personal sites and one or two business sites. I expect to pay between
$20 - $30.
Is that a monthly budget or a yearly one? Simple managed shared
hosting for unlimited domains (*not* actual white-label reselling) can
easily be found around the $10/month range. I used to use DreamHost
for that and they were pretty good.
Monthly.
Post by Doc O'Leary
But I’ve moved on to VPSes for most things because I have the
technical need and know-how to do things that a cookie-cutter provider
won’t offer. I was able to replace just about everything I was doing
on DreamHost with the $15/year plan from RamNode. I blogged about the
http://www.impossiblystupid.com/organization/tags/vps/
Interesting. Thanks.
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)
Jerry Stuckle
2016-09-22 20:00:43 UTC
Post by Ed Jay
I need to change server hosts.
'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.
Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
Hi, Ed, long time no speak :)

Years ago I went with VPS's. I had one which changed their software
such that my firewall didn't work any more. I went to Linode several
years ago and couldn't be happier.

A VPS isn't for everyone - but if that's what you would like, it's a
great buy with excellent support.
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
==================
Ed Jay
2016-09-22 21:24:52 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 16:00:43 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
Post by Jerry Stuckle
Post by Ed Jay
I need to change server hosts.
'Green Geeks' and 'Inmotion Hosting' have each been recommended.
Does anyone have a comment or recommendation?
Hi, Ed, long time no speak :)
Really! Hope all's well with you, Jerry.
Post by Jerry Stuckle
Years ago I went with VPS's. I had one which changed their software
such that my firewall didn't work any more. I went to Linode several
years ago and couldn't be happier.
A VPS isn't for everyone - but if that's what you would like, it's a
great buy with excellent support.
Thanks, but I'm not interested in a VPS for my application. Simple
reseller type account to host a dozen personal sites.
--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)